user_mobilelogo

News Items

Masonic Archives

Friday, 25 July 2014 11:03

Roseberry LOIM support Redcar Coast Watch

At the Roseberry annual Sunday lunch on July 6th, WM, John Davies presented a cheque for £400 to Trevor Smith, Chairman of Redcar Coast watch.

Rose

Coastwatch Redcar is one of an independent group of Coastal Surveillance Stations within (SSG) The Sea Safety Group, an international non-government organisation whose headquarters are in the UK.

These stations assist HM Coastguard in their task of helping people in trouble and saving lives at sea.

Coastwatch is a volunteer organisation with its stations and activities supported entirely by charitable donations from the local community.

The Redcar station opened on 31 October 1996 and occupies the top two floors of the building known as the 'Zetland Lifeboat Museum'. The building was originally built in 1877 as a RNLI Lifeboat Station and later became a museum and HM Coastguard Station. It was vacated by HM Coastguard in 1990 and became the property Redcar & Cleveland Council, who have kindly permitted its use as a Museum and Coastwatch facility.

The 'Lookout', as it is affectionately referred to locally, is a watchtower located on The Esplanade in Redcar, about 3.5 miles south of the River Tees Estuary and Teesport, the 4th largest port by volume in the UK. During the late 19th century until the mid-20th century, Redcar was a popular seaside resort sharing 9 miles of golden beaches, from the South Gare Lighthouse (Tees Estuary) in the North West through the small towns of Marske and Saltburn-by-the-Sea to Huntcliffe in the South East