user_mobilelogo

News Items

Masonic Archives

Thursday, 15 January 2015 00:00

Aid for Redcar Coast Watch

On Saturday 10th January Ian Williams, Charity Steward of Roseberry Lodge presented a cheque on behalf of Provincial Grand Charity, Yorkshire North and East Ridings, to Trevor Smith and Stan Whalley of Redcar Coast Watch.

Coastwatch 1The cheque for £400, together with donations from Roseberry Lodge, provided a contribution of £800 towards the installation of a much-needed new stairway to the observation tower.

Stan and Trevor were pleased to accept the donation and thanked the Freemasons of Redcar and the Provincial Grand Charity for their continued support.
Coastwatch is a volunteer organisation with its stations and activities supported entirely by charitable donations from the local community.
The Redcar station opened on 31 October 1996 and occupies the top two floors of the building known as the Zetland Lifeboat Museum. The building was originally built in 1877 as an RNLI Lifeboat Station and later became a museum and HM Coastguard Station. It was vacated by HM Coastguard in 1990 and became the property of Redcar & Cleveland Council, which has kindly permitted its use as a Museum and Coastwatch facility.
The 'Lookout', as it is affectionately referred to locally, is a watchtower located on The Esplanade in Redcar, about 3.5 miles south of the River Tees Estuary and Teesport, the 4th largest port by volume in the UK. During the late 19th century until the mid-20th century, Redcar was a popular seaside resort sharing 9 miles of golden beaches, from the South Gare Lighthouse (Tees Estuary) in the North West through the small towns of Marske and Saltburn-by-the-Sea to Huntcliffe in the South East