Our History

The Province of Yorkshire, North and East Riding

 

Is one of the 47 into which the Freemasonry of England and Wales is divided for the purposes of administration.
These Masonic Provinces broadly correspond with the English and Welsh Counties prior to the Boundary Commission changes of 1974.

Here is a brief history of the Province.

 

The Early History of the Province.

 

Here in the County of the City of York, or Yorkshire, long before Freemasonry, our forefathers saw the need to divide the biggest County in England onto the three Ridings, a word derived from the old Norse thrithjungre meaning ‘third part’, which later evolved into the old English thriding.

The three Ridings were the North, East and West Ridings, whose boundaries met and encircled the ancient City of York which was independent of them all.

In terms of size they were always somewhat unequal thirds, the West Riding covering 2775 square miles, the North Riding 2128, and the East Riding 1172.

The Masonic Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings shares its early history with our sister Province of Yorkshire West Riding, but initially the North and East Ridings were overlooked.
The first two Provincial Grand Masters in Yorkshire were William Horton in 1739, and Edward Rookes in 1740, for the West Riding only.

It was probably not until 1769 with the appointment of a true Yorkshire man, James Heseltine, as Grand Secretary in London, that the Premier Grand Lodge of England became better acquainted with the geography of the County. It was no doubt upon his advice, that in 1771 Sir Thomas Tancred was appointed Provincial Grand Master for the whole of Yorkshire.

 

These were the early years of Provincial Grand Lodges, which had not yet evolved into what they are today. Originally there were no Provincial Grand Officers, nor Provincial Meetings, the office of Provincial Grand Master not being much more than that of an honorary local representative of Grand Lodge.

It was only after the Provincial system had developed considerably, that in 1817 it became clear that a Provincial Grand Lodge for the whole of Yorkshire based in York, was not satisfactory. The Industrial Revolution had brought about demographic changes whereby the bulk of the population lived in the industrial West Riding as opposed to the more rural North and East Ridings.

This was reflected in the distribution of lodges, the West Riding had 29 lodges in 24 towns, and the City of York and the North and East Ridings had 9 lodges in 6 towns. Accordingly, Grand Lodge divided Yorkshire into two Provinces, the West Riding of Yorkshire, and North and East Ridings which included York.

It was a logical and amicable split, and today we enjoy the closest of fraternal relations with our sister Province of the West Riding of Yorkshire.

The first Provincial Grand Master of the Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings was the Rt Hon Lawrence Dundas, 1st Earl of Zetland, which was the start of a long and happy association with the Earls and Marquesses of Zetland as Provincial Grand Masters that lasted until 1984.

 

Regarding the City of York.

 

York occupies an intriguing place in the legends, myths, and history of Freemasonry, and has lent its name to the York Rite of America, and even a Grand Lodge in Mexico.

Two important supposed events which have made York famous, are the Assembly of Masons at York in 926, held by Prince Edwin, and the even more mythical alleged attempt in 1561 by an armed force acting upon the orders of Queen Elizabeth I., to break up an Assembly at York under the Grand Mastership of Sir Thomas Sackville.

The latter story continues that the visitors were well received and returned to the Queen with a glowing report, “who esteem’d them as a sort of Men that cultivated Peace and Friendship, Art and Sciences without meddling in the Affairs of Church or State” – Anderson’s Constitutions of 1738.

These two legends have created a belief, that a General or Grand Lodge was established at the City of York in the tenth century, and that no similar meeting was held elsewhere; that a General Assembly and a Grand Lodge are one and the same thing; and that the Constitutions of the English Lodges are derived from the General Assembly or Grand Lodge at York.

In the words of the great Masonic historian R F Gould, writing in the 1880s, “These pretensions, though reasserted again and again in times less remote from our own, are devoid of any historical basis, and derive no support whatever from the undoubted legends of the Craft.”

Back in the real world, in 1717 four old London lodges founded the first Grand Lodge in the world, the Premier Grand Lodge of England. For reasons far too complex to explain here, in 1751, a rival Grand Lodge which confusingly called itself the ‘Antients’ whilst referring to the older Premier Grand Lodge as the ‘Moderns’, was founded in London. In 1813, the Premier Grand Lodge and the Antients Grand Lodge united to form the current United Grand Lodge of England.

Along the way, in 1725 an old lodge in York, which was probably of similar antiquity to the founding lodges of the Premier Grand Lodge of England, started to call itself the Grand Lodge of All England, or the York Grand Lodge, basing its claims on the legends of Grand Assemblies of Masons in York from the year 926. It had very limited success and long periods of dormancy. It founded eleven lodges which no longer exist, before disappearing in 1792.

Historical Timeline

Freemasonry & Yorkshire North and East Ridings : Principal Historical Events

1425-1777

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1425-1777

1425    Masons Assemblies prohibited by Parliament.
1646    Elias Ashmole (Windsor Herald) and other Gentlemen of distinction were initiated.
1717    4 Lodges In London Formed the “Premier Grand Lodge of England”. (June 24th). At the “Goose & Gridiron” Anthony Sayer, Grand Master.
1725    The First Provincial Grand Master was appointed, and  The Grand Lodge of Ireland was established.
1728    Twelve Grand Stewards first appointed.
1736    The Grand Lodge of Scotland was established 1736.
1751    The Antient (or Atholl) Grand Lodge was formed  (Which purported to operate with earlier Ritual than 1717.)
1763    Lennox Lodge (So named in 1799) (Now No. 123) was constituted and met at the “Freemasons Arms” Bargate Richmond; this being the earliest dated Lodge, still now meeting in the [“Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings”; Constituted in 1817.]
1764    The first Lodge in Whitby met At the “Golden Lion”
1766    Charter of Compact : Constituted the “Grand Chapter”
1769    The Humber Lodge, was Originally an Athol Lodge. (Now No. 57). After the Meeting in 1809, and using the “Ancient Knight Templar Lodge’s defunct Warrant of 1777” its name was transferred in 1810 to the Humber Lodge then meeting at the Fleece Inn, Market Place, [Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings Constituted in 1817.]
1773    Freemason’s Hall: Gt. Queen St. Committee was appointed.
1775    Freemason’s Hall: Foundation Stone was laid.
1776    Freemason’s Hall: was Dedicated.
1777   York  Lodge  (Now No. 236)   (1870)  in York. : ( this was previously the “Union Lodge” (1777) meeting at Lockwood’s Coffee House, Micklegate, York. The York Lodge 1870, was meeting at the Theatre Coffee House Petergate York in1786.  [Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings Constituted in 1817.]

1783-1817

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1783-1817

1783    Minerva Lodge  (Now No. 250) Worked under Dispensation in 1782 at the Masons’ Arms, Chapel Street,  Hull, Constituted October 8th. 1783, and then met at the Masonic Hall, Prince Street, Hull,1882, and in 1874 met at Dagger Lane, Hull. 1874. (Being the same Hall with the entrance now being in Dagger Lane). [Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings Constituted in 1817.]
1788    Royal Masonic Institution for Girls was founded.
1788    Old Globe Lodge  (Now No. 200)  Met at the Old Globe Inn, Globe Street, Scarborough, without a Warrant     from February 1788, and afterwards under a Provincial Warrant August 23rd.1788. Constituted 5th March 1791.[Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings Constituted in 1817.]
1790    HRH Edward, KG (afterwards the Duke of Kent) was Initiated.
1790    HRH Edward Duke of Kent KG, was Appointed PGM.
1793     Constitutional  Lodge  (Now No. 294) Beverley.  Met at the Golden Ball, Toll Gavel, Beverley, on March 6th  1793, then, the same year, Met at the Tiger Inn North Bar Street, Beverley. Constituted June 17th 1793. [Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings Constituted in 1817.]
1797     Lion Lodge  (Now No. 312) was Constituted January 30th 1797.  Date of Warrant, January 14th.1797. Met at the Golden Lion, Golden Lion Bank, Whitby. [Still now meeting in the “Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings; Constituted in 1817.]
1798    HRH Augustus Frederick (afterwards the duke of Sussex) was Initiated.
1798    Royal Masonic Institution for Boys was founded.
1801    Thomas Harper appointed DeptGM, of the Antient Grand Lodge.
1813    HRH the duke of Sussex, elected Grand Master, on the resignation of the HRH the Prince Regent (afterwards King George IV) who took the Title of Grand Patron.
1813    HRH the duke of Kent was elected Grand Master Antient Grand Lodge.
1813    HRH the duke of Sussex GM, and  HRH the duke of Kent GM the Athol of Antient Grand Lodge, sign the  “Articles of Union” on November 25th.1813    The “Union” was ratified at Especial Grand Lodges of each Constitution, separately held on December 1st.
1813    First Lord Dundas Appointed DeptGM.
1813    Grand Assembly of Freemasons for the Union of the two Grand Lodges of England HRH the Duke of Sussex, GM. 27th. December.
1814    HRH the Duke of Sussex GM installed as Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England 2nd. May.
1815    Constitutions of the United Grand Lodge of England published.
1817    Union of then Grand Chapter with the Antient Royal Arch Masons 18th March.

1817-1883

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1817-1883

 1817   The “Province of Yorkshire” of was divided into two Provinces:-  The “Province of Yorkshire West Riding”, and  “The Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings” From 1817, Lawrence Lord Dundas was the first Provincial Grand Master of this new Province, which was formally Constituted on 14th August 1821; His Appointment having been back-dated to 1817.
1830    The Grand Charity Jewel instituted.
1839    Lawrence Lord Dundas died.
1842    Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution founded.
1844    Earl of Zetland ProGM Elected and Installed as GM., Oct.15th.
1850    There were now 10 Lodges In the Province of Yorks.NER., and 747 Lodges in the English Constitution.
1852    The first Lodge in Middlesbrough, the [ “North” York Lodge ]  (Then 876, later 602), was consecrated in December1852. Its Name is the result of a suggestion by some Brethren of the “York Lodge” (now 236), who liked the idea of this obvious link.
1860    The First Meeting of the The Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings, was held in Middlesbrough.
1870    The Marwood Lodge No. 1244, Initiated the first blind man ever admitted to Freemasonry on Jan. 4th 1870. Since then, there have been others, eg, in recent years at Pocklington where the guide dog was in the room throughout the ceremony.
1874    The Grand Master, Lord Ripon, Installed the Marques of Zetland, as the Provincial Grand Master of Yorkshire North & east Ridings.
1874    HRH the Prince of Wales KG, afterwards Edward VII, became Grand Master, on the resignation of the Marques of Ripon KG.
1878    The “Ferrum Lodge” No. 1848 was established as the second Lodge in Middlesbrough.
1880    The foundation Stone of the Cathedral at Truro. Laid by HRH the Prince of Wales KG GM.
1883    Freemasons Hall built in 1775 was partially destroyed by fire, May 3rd., and the building was restored in 1884.

1901-1918

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1901-1918

1901    HRH the duke of Connaught and Strathearn, KG elected Grand Master on King Edward’s accession to the Throne and becoming Protector of the Order. 6th. March.
1901    HRH the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, KG Grand Master installed at the Royal Albert Hall 17th.
1907    AT the Provincial G. L. Yorks. NER. Meeting, it was resolved that, the PGSec., would be paid £75 annually for his official work.
1908    VW Bro. the Dean of York, presented a Chippendale Bookcase with 60 Selected Volumes, to Lord Ronaldshay As a Wedding Gift, from the Brethren of the Province.
1909    Lord Ripon died. Grand Lodge resolved to raise a fund to establish a “Temple” in London, worthy of being the Home of Freemasonry.
1910    King Edward the VII died.
1910    The Connaught Rooms, previously called the “Freemasons Tavern”, was opened to the public.
1910    Centenary of the Re-Union of all the Lodges under the “United Grand Lodge of England”
1911    AT the Provincial G. L. Yorks. NER. Meeting this year, the RW PGM, the Marques Of Zetland, noted that when he was Installed 37 years ago, there were 23 Lodges in the Province; and now there were 36.  At that meeting, Lord Bolton DPGM, advised the Brethren to be particularly careful in ensuring the good character and qualifications of all candidates reached the required standards expected in Freemasonry.
1912    At the P.G.Lodge,  (held in the Guildhall at York) the PGM related the ‘Early Historical Details’ of “Freemasonry in the City of York”, in his address to the Brethren.
1913    At the P.G.Lodge, it was reported that, a few copies of the “Ancient York Rolls of Constitution” published by P.G.Lodge, were available at 5 Shillings per copy, from the Provincial Secretary.
1917    The PGM., the Marques of Zetland attended the Celebration of the Bi-Centenary of the Premier Grand Lodge of England, at an Especial Grand Lodge held at the Royal Albert Hall over which HRH the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn KG GM presided and representatives of the Grand Lodges of Scotland, Ireland and of the Dominions were present on 23rd. June. 1917
1918    Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings : Having achieved 100 years in 1917, the provincial Grand Master, said that due to the war, we felt we should not hold a celebration to mark the event at that time.  However, we do hope to mark the occasion next year (1919)

1923-1929

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1923-1929

1923    Vulcan Lodge 4510 principally formed by brethren of the North York Lodge No.602, was Consecrated.
1923    HRH  Duke of York KG, invested as SGW by HRH  Duke of Connaught & Strathern, KG, GM. June 6th.
1924    Plans for the Masonic Peace Memorial Building in Great queen Street were invited, in March.
1924    The Provincial Grand Lodge was held at the Ferrum Lodge in Middlesbrough.
1924    A “Gold Loving Cup” was presented to the RW Most Hon. Lord Zetland; subscribed by the Brethren of all the Lodges of the Province.
1925    Three new  Lodges were Consecrated; namely, Captain Cook Lodge at Marton, Minster Lodge at York, and St. Andrews Lodge at Hull.
1925    A special Festival in aid of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund was held at Olympia, Kensington, under the Presidency of HRH the Duke of Connaught and Strathern, KG, GM, HRH  the Duke of York KG, ProvGM of Middlesex, Prince Arthur of Connaught KG, ProvGM Berkshire attended together with some 7,000 Brethren, when 11,554 Stewards represented, promised contributions amounting to £826,014. 11s. 8d.
1926   The number of Brethren in the Province was now 4,888.
1927    The Foundation Stone of the Peace Memorial Building was laid (by electrical connection) in the Royal Albert  Hall by HRH the Duke of Connaught and Strathern, KG, GM, nearly 8,000 Brethren being Present on July 14th.
1927    Two new Chapters were consecrated; Agricola at York, and the Royal at Filey.  This year £3,750 was collected; being a record for the Province. PGM was attended the York Lodge when it celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
1927   A collection of old Masonic Glass and China was presented to the Province by W.Bro. H. Dunkerly.
1927   York Minster celebrated its 1300th. Anniversary, and as a result of the appeal by ‘Province of the West Riding’, and the ‘Five York Lodges’,  the Four Lancet Windows of the Minster were preserved.
1928   £8,000,000 had now been raised for the completion of the home of British Freemasonry in London.
1929   This Year the North York Lodge No.602, in Middlesbrough, was host to the Provincial Meeting. The Provincial Grand Lodge Yorks N.E.R., arranged to pay the York Lodge No. 236 the sum of £150. per year for rent, rates, heating, lighting and cleaning, for the next 25 years.

1930-1935

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1930-1935

1930    At the Provincial Grand Lodge under the banner of the Lion Lodge 312, The PGM., thanked brethren for their donation of various artifacts to the Provincial Museum collection. The DPGM., was given £200 to furnish the new  Provincial Grand Lodge premises.
1931    Yorkshire NER., now comprised of 51 Lodges. The PGM., thanked several Brethren for various further additions of Books, China, Pottery and glass ware, to the Provincial Museum.
1932    W.Bro. W. L. Wade-Dalton was appointed DPGM. The PGM remarked upon the distribution of Grand, and Provincial Grand Honours, pointing out in some detail how they were awarded. He further said that if a Brother was to decline a Provincial Honour, then it would not be in accord with the dignity of his Lodge!
1933    Dedication of the new Grand Temple, and Masonic Peace Memorial at Gt. Queen Street, London.
1933    This was a landmark year Freemasonry with the completion and dedication of the “Masonic Peace Memorial” by the MW Grand Master; the whole building being a Monument to the craft. The Royal Masonic Hospital was opened by the King.
1934    The PGM., consecrated the Brough Lodge No. 5464.
1934    Notice was given that September 5th. ‘Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge’ would be held at Newcastle.
1934    Interestingly the North York lodge No. 602, Annual Subscription, was then £1-10.00. ( £1.50 )
1935    W.Bro W.L. Wade-Dalton PGD. DPGM., presided at the Provincial Grand Lodge Meeting. He related to the Brethren, the contents of a communication from the PGM., sending his greetings to all the Brethren, and in particular his express thanks to both the Wardens of the Province for the zealous manner in which they had performed their duties during this year, when the PGM had been often absent. The Most Hon. Marquess of Zetland had been appointed as “Secretary of State to India. There were now 5187 Brethren in the Province.
1935    The Acting PGM Presented to the Provincial Secretary W.Bro. F.W. Laughton, a “Book of Signatures” and  The sum of £290. as a token of the esteem, friendship and affection of all the Brethren in the Province who had subscribed to the same, in respect of his dedicated work for the Province

1936-1967

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1936-1967

1936    Provincial Grand Lodge was held at the ‘Spa at Scarborough’ The PGM expressed profound sorry at the death of King George; likewise at the death of the Pro Grand Master Lord Ampthill and the deputy grand Master Lord Cornwallis. The PGM reported that he had received back into the Province, the White Marble Bust of Dr. John Ian Bell who was DPGM of the Province from 1868 to 1886 and that this was a greatly valued artifact.
1938    There were now 5,006 Lodges in the English Constitution.
1934    Sept. 5th. Quarterly Communication was held at the City Hall Newcastle-upon-Tyne Northumberland.
1935    The MW Pro G Master the Rt.Hon Lord Ampthill (ProvGMaster for Bedfordshire ; 27 years) died after a short Illness. The Earl of Harewood, KG, JCVO, DSO, was appointed Prov.G.Master.
1939    HRH the Duke of Kent, KG, Installed as Grand Master, by MW Bro. HM King George V1. PGM at Olympia London on July 19th.
1942    HRH Duke of Connaught KG, PGM, died Jan.16th. Duke of Kent, KG, GM, killed on active Service Aug.25th.
1943    Sixth earl of Harewood, KG, Installed as Grand Master by MW Bro. HM King George V1., PGM, at Freemasons Hall London, June 1st.
1948    Duke of Devonshire Installed as Grand Master by MW Bro. HM King George V1., PGM, at the Royal Albert Hall, London, 23rd March.
1951    Eighteenth Earl of Derby, MC, was appointed DepGMaster, March 7th. Rt. Hon. Earl of Scarborough KG, GCSt., GCIE, TD, was Installed as Grand Master at the royal Albert Hall, London by the Rt. Hon. Earl of Derby MC, depGM, in the absence, through Illness of MW Bro. HM King George V1., PGM, Nov.6th.
1952    HM HM King George V1. died Feb 6th.
1953    Maj. Gen. Sir Alan H. S. Adair, Bt, CB, DSO, MC, DL, appointed Assistant GM, March 4th.
1960    Seveth Earl Cadogan appointed DepGM, March 2nd.
1963    HRH the Duke of Kent, GCVO,, Initiated Dec.16th.
1966    Celebration of the Bi-Centenary of the Supreme Grand Chapter of England at Freemasons’ Hall, July 1st. 1967 Rt. Hon. Earl of Scarborough KG, GM, resigned, and accepted Office as Pro Grand Master on the election of HRH the Duke of Kent, GCVO, ADC, PSGW, as Grand Master. June 14th.

1967-1992

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1967-1992

1967    250th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of England, marked by the creation of a Trust Fund to which all the Members of the craft subscribed. Total to date announced as £ 542,651, the annual income from which would be used for the benefit of surgical research under the direction of the Royal College of Surgeons, June 14th.
1967    250th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of England at an Especial Grand Lodge held at the Royal Albert Hall, London, at which HRH the Duke of Kent GCVO, ADC, was Installed as Grand Master by MW Bro. Rt. Hon. Earl of Scarborough KG, ProGM, June 27th.
1967    Princess Alexandra, the Hon Mrs. Angus Ogilvy, opened new “Homes of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution” at Cramlington, Northumberland, July 18th.
1969    The Rt. Hon. Earl Cadogan MC, OL, appointed ProGM, Dec. 10th.
1969    Maj. Gen. Sir Alan H. S. Adair, Bt, CB, DSO, MC, DL, appointed Deputy GM, Dec. 10th.
1971    The Hon James Neil Wykeham Cornwallis, OBE, appointed AssistantGM. Dec.8th.
1974    Publication by the Craft of the “Bagnall Report” on Masonic Charities, Apl.24th.
1976    Bi-Centanary of dedication of the first Freemasons’ Hall, May 23rd.
1976    Hon Edward Latham Baillieu appointed AssistandGM, June 9th.
1976    The Hon Fiennes Neil Wykeham Cornwallis, OBE, DL, appointed DeputyGM. Sept. 8th.
1979    “Masonic Foundation for the aged and Sick”, was established Nov. 28th.
1980    Grand Charity was established April 16th.
1982    Rt Hon. Lord Farnham appointed Assistant GM April 28th., Rt Hon. Lord Cornwallis, OBE, TD, appointed  Pro Grand Master, June 9th.  Hon Edward Latham Baillieu appointed Deputy Grand Master, June 9th.
1991    Rt Hon. Lord Farnham appointed Pro Grand Master, Dec.11th. RtW Bro. Iain Ross Bryce, TD, DL, appointed Deputy Grand Master, Dec.11th.
1992    Cellebration of the 275th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of England  at an especial Meeting of grand Lodge at Earls Court, London, over which HRH the Duke of Kent, KG,  Grand Master presided on the June 10th.

1995-2016

(Note: items relating to Yorkshire North and East Ridings are listed in blue)

1995-2016

1995    Installation of RtW Bro. the Most Honourable the Marquess of  Northampton as Assistant Grand Master
2001    Installation of RtW Bro. the Most Honourable the Marquess of  Northampton as Pro Grand Master on March 14th., following the retirement of MW Bro. Rt Hon. Lord Farnham. Also the Installation of W Bro. D.K.Williamson as Assistant Grand Master.
2001    Masonry suffered the sad loss of MW Bro. Rt Hon. Lord Farnham, Past Pro Grand Master, on march 22nd.
2002    “Freemasonry in the Community” An Initiative from the United Grand Lodge, for One Week, June 26-July 2nd.
2003    W Bro. Richard John Anderson (then PAGDC) appointed, as the Provincial Grand Master in, and of, the Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings, held in the University of York, Saturday February 8th.  11.30am.
2004    Installation of RW Bro. Peter Geoffrey Lowndes, as Deputy Grand Master on March 10th., following the retirement of RW.Bro. Iain Ross Bryce, TD, DL.
2004    W Bro. Jeffrey Gillyon Appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master in, and of, the Province of Yorkshire North & East Ridings.
2008    The Most Hon. Lord Northampton the Pro Grand Master, announced his retirement from the position he had occupied since March 2001.
2009    RW Bro. Peter Geoffrey Lowndes, appointed as Pro Grand Master, March 11th.
2009    Jonathan Spence appointed as Deputy Grand Master, March 11th.
2010    W.Bro. P. J. Gillyon appointed Grand Steward.
2012    Lennox Lodge No. 123, celebrated its 250th Anniversary, in the presence of the Provincial Grand Master.
2013    On July 5th., the Provincial Grand Master, announced his retirement, as from 31st. October. Subsequently, the Most Worshipful Grand Master was pleased to Appoint V.W.Bro. Jeffrey Gillyon, as Provincial Grand Master with effect from 1st November 2013. (The Investiture to take place in York on 8th. March 2014.
2014    At a Special Meeting On 8th. March,  V.W.Bro. Jeffrey Gillyon, was Invested, and Proclaimed as Provincial Grand Master:  He then Obligated and Invested W.Bro. William Henry Fisher as Deputy Provincial Grand Master.
2014   At a Special Provincial Grand Chapter Meeting On 8th. March,  E. Comp Jeffrey Gillyon PAGDC was Obligated and Invested as Grand Superintendant: He then Obligated, and Invested E Comp Peter Michael Mawer as Deputy Grand Superintendant.
2014   Sir David Wootton was appointed ASSISTANT GRAND MASTER March 12th.
2015   Both the Provincial Grand Lodge, and Provincial Grand Chapter meetings were held on May 9th.
At this time  The 2018 Festival had raised almost One Million pounds, and Chapters £25,000, towards the target of 1.7 Million.

 

2016   May 1st.   At this time  

HRH THE DUKE OF KENT IS ……  GRAND MASTER. 
                                                
PETER GEOFFREY LOUNDS …….  THE PRO GRAND MASTER
                                                
JONATHAN SPENCE ………………   THE DEPUTY GRAND MASTER
                                                
SIR DAVID WOOTON ……………   THE ASSISTANT GRAND MASTER